Sunday, April 21, 2013

Fitting the Pieces Together


Now that you have a deeper understanding of the different learning theories and learning styles, how has your view on how you learn changed?
Over the past 7 weeks, I was introduced to theorist and theories, such as Vygotsky, Piaget, Skinner, etc, and although it has been an extreme eye opener to many different theorists and theories, I have to say that none has impacted my view on how I learn.  However, it is knowledge that I store in my long-term memory in hopes of being able to recall and/or retrieve it when the need arises in my duties as a Instructional Designer, as I am a huge proponent of any knowledge gained is knowledge that can be used when the situation or circumstance dictates.
What have you learned about the various learning theories and learning styles over the past weeks that can further explain your own personal learning preferences?
I recall when I was an instructor and remembering when some of my students used to have difficulties with some of the lesson concepts. The best way of could think of to ease their concerns was to tell them that what they were learning is not new; what I was doing was putting name to what they were doing every day—putting theory to practice.  The same thing has happened for me.  The last 6 weeks have allowed me to understand the theories behind my learning: 1) being active in the learning process by way of asking questions and being hands on, 2) being able to quickly and receptively apply what I have learned for if I don’t I face the possibility of losing it, and 3) being able to build on the knowledge and skills that I currently posses.  
What role does technology play in your learning (i.e., as a way to search for information, to record information, to create, etc.)?
The role technology plays in my learning is that it provides me unlimited access to information that I normally would not have access to. For instance, when I was working on a marketing project during my first master’s degree program, I was able to access Starbucks’ annual report, which helped me tremendously in completing my project.  Also, as a writer, I have to conduct research on a daily basis, sometimes at a moment’s notice.  Being able to conduct a Google search instantly, opposed to a traditional search--shifting through a great deal of books at the library--aid me in completely whatever lesson I am working on before the, sometimes, short deadline.   

No comments:

Post a Comment